Sunday, January 31, 2010

Waste

Italics: Chorus
Bold: Bridge
Plain Text: Verse, Pre-Chorus

That boy approached his father; such an ungrateful son
He wanted everything, and now; this greedy, faithless one
The world was calling him, and to its arms he'd go running
He said "You're dead to me, so give me now what I've got coming"

And as my righteous teacher passed on the story
I soon was sobered by the shocking truth laid out before me:


I'm no more than living waste; a walking glitch within the system
Crashing from place to place, living my aimless existence
I'll squander gold, and precious treasure
I'll sell my life away for just one momentary pleasure


He soon went crawling back again; he'd gone and lost it all
Finding that he could only beg after his foolish fall
He'd given into greed, and thus couldn't sustain his fortune
And learned at all to high a cost prudence's great importance

And as my righteous teacher finished his story
I soon was frightened by the shocking truth laid out before me:

I'm no more than living waste; a useless bug within the system
Crawling from place to place; hedonism's my religion
Just what is "labor"? I don't get it?
But if I don't learn quick, I'm well aware that I'll regret it


But I need not be like him
I can survive without succumbing to the lusts within
With temperance I can be free
But for my fate to change, I must be the change I wish to see in me

No comments:

Post a Comment